#1 April 2, 2012 11:50am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Installation Quirks

I've noticed there's a lot of installation quirks since BigTree relies heavily on .htaccess for rewrites.  A few things to keep in mind if you have issues (most specifically, a white screen after installation completes at 500 Internal Server errors when trying to access your site after):
- You must be allowed to use mod_rewrite rules in .htaccess for BigTree to work.
- You need to have magic_quotes_gpc turned off in php.ini OR be allowed to turn it off at runtime in .htaccess

If you run into the 500 Internal Server error, check out the different install guides for server setups here:
http://www.bigtreecms.org/documentation … tallation/

If your host isn't included there, post a reply here and I'll try to work through the server setup with you and put together another install guide for new users.

#2 April 18, 2012 1:54pm

clearbold

Re: Installation Quirks

Hi there,

I just installed BigTree for the first time in my local, MAMP Pro environment.

When I hit install.php, I had a lot of PHP Notices (undefined variables) on the screen and in some of the form fields. While I was able to submit the screen and see that installation had succeeded, the /admin was just a dump of PHP errors and there were errors throughout the example site. Even turning off magic quotes did not resolve these, nor did some of the recommended Rewrite rules.

I turned off PHP Notices (Errors only) in MAMP Pro and did the installation again on a clean vhost/database. No issues this time.

I have screenshots if you'd like them. I'm not sure if this is something that's arisen before, but it was a frustrating and baffling first experience with BigTree, in an environment that I have control over and that, but for turning off magic quotes, otherwise met all requirements.

Mark

#3 April 18, 2012 1:58pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Could you send us or post a screenshot of the warnings in the admin after the first failed installation?

We'll definitely address the notices problem in the installer, thanks for pointing that out!

#5 April 18, 2012 2:08pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Thanks! Those screenshots definitely helped and we'll be sure to roll out a fix for that in the next beta release!

#6 May 29, 2012 11:25am

nevinl

Hi,

I'm getting the Internal server error after running the installer. I'm pretty sure magic quotes are turned off, although I'm not sure where to look or change the mod_rewrite rules in .htaccess.

my hosting is at, http://www.webhostinghub.com/ do you know if that would be similar to how 1an1 or godaddy handles the install?

Thanks!

#7 May 29, 2012 11:31am

timbuckingham
Administrator

There's a good chance that following the 1and1 or GoDaddy .htaccess instructions will help with other shared hosting providers such as the one you listed. You'll want to modify the .htaccess files in your root directory and your /site/ directory the way they're described in the GoDaddy/1and1 instructions -- the internal server errors are definitely related to .htaccess.

#8 March 5, 2014 2:52pm

ryancoates

I get through the installation just fine, but when trying to access the admin page I get:

Fatal error: Class 'mysqli' not found in C:\bigtreecms\core\inc\bigtree\sql.php on line 14

Apache 2.2, PHP 5.3.28, running on Windows Server 2003

#9 March 5, 2014 2:54pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Edit your /templates/config.php file and switch the $bigtree["config"]["sql_interface"] variable to "mysql" (it defaults to using the MySQLi interface, which I believe it checks for but there's a chance that check is failing for some reason).

#10 February 20, 2014 4:27pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

phpinfo() will tell you where the php.ini file IIS is using is located under the "Configuration File (php.ini) Path" section.

#11 February 20, 2014 4:30pm

wendydroid

Woohoo!

Ok I double checked and short tags show up twice in the ini files, so I turned those on as well and it works now! Thank you so much!!! smile

#12 February 20, 2014 4:30pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

No problem!

#13 February 20, 2014 4:10pm

wendydroid

Alrighty, I'll try it and get right back to you!

#14 February 20, 2014 4:19pm

wendydroid

Ok it looks like it installed correctly (woohoo!) but when I go to the URL, it goes to a page that says the following. The admin URL goes to a similar looking thing:

1) {            $bigtree["path"] = array_slice($bigtree["path"],$x - 1);        }        if (file_exists("../custom/admin/router.php")) {            include "../custom/admin/router.php";        } else {            include "../core/admin/router.php";        }        die();    }        // We're not in the admin, see if caching is enabled and serve up a cached page if it exists    if ($bigtree["config"]["cache"] && $bigtree["path"][0] != "_preview" && $bigtree["path"][0] != "_preview-pending") {        $cache_location = $_GET["bigtree_htaccess_url"];        if (!$cache_location) {            $cache_location = "!";        }        $file = "../cache/".base64_encode($cache_location).".page";        // If the file is at least 5 minutes fresh, serve it up.        clearstatcache();        if (file_exists($file) && filemtime($file) > (time()-300)) {            // If the web server supports X-Sendfile headers, use that instead of taking up memory by opening the file and echoing it.            if ($bigtree["config"]["xsendfile"]) {                header("X-Sendfile: ".str_replace("site/index.php","",strtr(__FILE__, "\\", "/"))."cache/".base64_encode($cache_location).".page");                header("Content-Type: text/html");                die();            // Fall back on readfile otherwise.            } else {                readfile($file);                die();            }        }    }        // Clean up the variables we set.    unset($config,$debug,$in_admin,$parts_of_admin,$x);    // Bootstrap BigTree    if (file_exists("../custom/bootstrap.php")) {        include "../custom/bootstrap.php";    } else {        include "../core/bootstrap.php";    }    // Route BigTree    if (file_exists("../customrouter.php")) {        include "../customrouter.php";    } else {        include "../corerouter.php";    } ?>

#15 February 20, 2014 4:22pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Looks like your PHP doesn't have short tags on.
You'll need to edit your php.ini file and change short_open_tag to on.

#16 February 20, 2014 4:24pm

wendydroid

Ok I'll double-check them.

I did see that warning during install, but I turned short tags on in all six of the php.ini files I found on the machine (I wasn't sure which one bigtree was specifically using!).

But I'll check again. Thanks!

#17 February 20, 2014 2:10pm

wendydroid

Hi! I'm trying to install BigTree on a local machine running IIS but after installing, the page just goes to the 500 server error page.

I can see the install script makes the bigtree tables in the MySQL database and inserts data into them and everything but (it looks like) it just doesn't end up creating the website files. No new files appear afterwards in the directory.

The directory is writable (that was the first error I was getting during the install) so I know that part is fine, so I don't know what to check next!

#18 February 20, 2014 3:14pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

We've been working on getting cleaner and clearer IIS installation into the next release (4.0.3). It should come out shortly but if you want to give it a try now you can grab the 4.0 development branch from GitHub here:

https://github.com/bigtreecms/BigTree-C … -devel.zip

If you have issues with that installer and the steps it provides let me know -- we do all our development on Apache/*nix setups so we're not incredibly familiar with IIS. 4.0.3 will be our first attempt at getting everything wrapped together for IIS users.

Board footer