#1 December 8, 2013 8:02pm

andyofne2

1and1 just won't work

I've tried everything in the documentation to make this work on a 1and1 shared hosting platform and I just can't get it to work.

I've tried using different versions of PHP. With one version, I get the 'blank' pages and URLs that end with a / like index.php/

I've gone through all 3 versions of PHP available on 1and1... 4.4.9, 5.2, and 5.4. I get different results each time.

On 5.4 the install works, the urls look better but when I click on one I get a 500 error and that's that.

No amount of creating custom .htaccess files seems to help.

Will this work on 1and1 hosting are am I fighting a losing battle?

#2 December 8, 2013 8:36pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: 1and1 just won't work

We've had it working on 1and1 at one point, though it's been some time since it's been tested. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe one of the developers also hosts his site on 1and1.

Have you tried following the instructions here?
http://www.bigtreecms.org/documentation/developer-guide/installation/1and1/

If that's not working for you let me know -- I'll sign up for a 1and1 account again and figure out how to get it working on the official 4.0 release and update the docs.

#3 December 8, 2013 8:41pm

andyofne2

Well, sure. I went through that 3 or 4 times. Deleted the entire install, wiped the DB, and tried again.

I've about had it with 1and1. When I first joined them, 10 years ago, I thought they were the bomb. But more and more I struggle to get things to work.

#4 December 8, 2013 9:08pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Ok, cool. I'll try to wrangle 1and1 again tomorrow.

#5 December 9, 2013 9:01am

benplum
Administrator

I have BigTree running a few sites on 1and1. For each site I set up a php.ini file with some custom values:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
magic_quotes_runtime = Off
magic_quotes_sybase = Off

allow_url_fopen = ON

zlib.output_compression = On

memory_limit = 32M
upload_max_filesize = 32M
post_max_size = 32MI also set the document root to the /site/ directory through the hosting control panel to avoid needing a separate .htaccess file in the root directory. Otherwise, you may need to include '/site/' in the .htaccess files' rewrite rules:

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /site/index.php?bigtree_htaccess_url=$1 [QSA,L]

Board footer