#1 September 8, 2022 12:57pm

doon.mok

Media Gallery - able to disable Upload or add to Files

Right now the media gallery has two options to add a photo, Upload or Browse button. The issue with the Upload button is you really can't reuse that image again because it is not added to Files. To use that image again somewhere else, I would have to upload it through Files but then I have the same image in our cloud storage.

I think there are two options

1. Option to disable the Upload button and only have the Browse button.
2. When using the Upload button, add the image to Files, this way we can reuse it again.

Doon

#2 September 8, 2022 3:16pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Media Gallery - able to disable Upload or add to Files

Hi Doon,

Both of those options come with caveats which is why Media Gallery behaves the way it does now. Having a "managed files" option tie into media gallery uploads requires all of the crops across the site to be the same (or at the very least some kind of central management of crops). Since we don't support the idea of creating a specific crop size and assigning it to a field, we can't be sure that a crop exists for the media gallery choice. That's why when you pick a file from "Browse..." it creates a copy of it and all new crops. Likewise, that's why when adding a new file it doesn't push it to the Files system (though pushing it to Files also has issues with the permissions model — your field would need to specify which folder it was pushing to and your user would need permission to that folder).

I agree that it's not ideal and if we had a more robust way to manage crops as a system-wide rather than field-wide feature it could be wrangled.

#3 September 8, 2022 3:27pm

doon.mok

Re: Media Gallery - able to disable Upload or add to Files

Thanks for the explanation Tim.

Board footer