#1 December 27, 2021 5:14pm

tsamant

Page versioning

I feel I may be missing something fundamental. But here goes:

What's a good way to achieve "versioning" of Bigtree pages? Our user base is expanding and they seem to mean at least a couple of different things by this:

1. Modify page content for a limited time, then roll it back to a previous version.

2. Switch between multiple stored versions of content.

Any procedures that use standard admin features are of course preferable. Don't want to (badly) customize admin if I can avoid it.

Thanks!
Tushar

#2 December 27, 2021 5:17pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Page versioning

BigTree natively supports this paradigm! Go to Pages -> edit the page you want to manage revisions for -> Revisions in the sub-menu -> Click the Save icon. That will allow you to permanently save a revision with a description for later re-use. You could use this to have seasonal variations on a page. After it's saved you can click the "New Draft" button next to the saved revision and it will copy that revision's content over to the pending state of the page. After you verify it looks good you just publish it like you would any pending page state.

#3 December 29, 2021 1:11pm

tsamant

Tim, thanks, this is fantastic news!

I now see from our DB that previous admins had saved revisions of certain pages. Unfortunately only one Published Revision ever shows up on the revisions tab of any page. No saved revisions. Trying to save a new revision from current has no effect as far as we can see. Is there a step I am missing?

This is Bigtree 4.4.13.

Thanks again,
Tushar

#4 December 30, 2021 10:18am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Hi Tushar,

Published Revisions will only ever show the currently published page (it doesn't show previously published revisions since that would be ALL the past revisions). If you aren't seeing a list of previous page states it's possible that for some reason there's a database error when inserting into the bigtree_page_revisions table (maybe a custom override somewhere or a missed SQL migration?).

I'd see if the table structure matches what a fresh BigTree install provides.

#5 January 3, 2022 12:44pm

tsamant

Hi, Tim,

I wasn't quickly able to get a fresh install up to compare. But it seems from the code that at least one column needs a new name?

currently we have: bigtree_page_revisions.resource_allocation
new: bigtree_page_revisions.resources

I am not sure if this is the only change. Would like to apply a migration query if there is one specifically for this table. Please let me know what's a good way to do this.

Thanks very much,
Tushar

Board footer