#1 July 2, 2019 5:55am

tommarshallamndrews

Editing Issue - "The file(s) uploaded exceeded the web server's ...."

Our shared ISS server was recently updated. The site works fine but when I try and edit anything I get the message
"The file(s) uploaded exceeded the web server's maximum upload size. If you uploaded multiple files, try uploading one at a time."
I can see the changes are stored in the bigtree_pending_changes table but don't get implemented.
One thing I don't seem to be able to confirm is the gpc_magic_quotes = Off requirement which I cans see in the php.ini page.
Thanks in advance!

#2 July 2, 2019 10:09am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Editing Issue - "The file(s) uploaded exceeded the web server's ...."

What does your Site Status report as the value for "Allow 4MB Uploads" in Developer -> Site Status?

I believe that error is thrown when your $_POST data exceed's PHP's post_max_size value.

#3 July 2, 2019 12:42pm

tommarshallamndrews

Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

I don't see that menu item. Maybe the wrong version. I am attaching a screenshot. the values in phpinfo shows (I can send you a link to the php.info page if it helps)

post_max_size    160M(local value)    8M(master value)

It's odd because I'm not uploading any files just updating the text which seems to update the pending table.

On the screenshot, you'll see there is a temporary error on 4 lines flagged but it does not seem to be consistent and has happened more recently.

Thanks for looking at this. It's a great tool!

admin screen

#4 July 3, 2019 8:00am

timbuckingham
Administrator

I'd try upgrading to 4.2.24 to see if that resolves the issue. The dropdown doesn't show Site Status, but you can get to it by ignoring the update prompt (it will show at the bottom of the blocks on the Developer landing page).

The fact that you're getting the error when just updating text sounds like there could be an issue with your server accepting $_POST data altogether. When post_max_size is hit, $_POST is usually completely empty which is why we throw that error about the uploads exceeding the size (as that's usually the cause). It's possible that your php.ini isn't being read properly and it's interpretting your post_max_size as something like 160 bytes instead of 160MiB.

#5 July 4, 2019 9:35am

tommarshallamndrews

Thanks Tim,
I have upgraded to 4.2.24 by swapping the core. The site works but unfortunately, I can't seem to log into the CMS. It works fine locally and also if I set the environment.php $bigtree["config"]["db"]["host"] to the remote IP I can update the remote site fine so I'm pretty sure it will work. I have tried copying the working hashed password from the local database to te remote one but still not working.
Obviously tried the password reset buy no joy.
Any thoughts?
I really appreciate your help with this.

#6 July 5, 2019 5:31pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

I believe 4.2.24 may use password_hash for password hashing -- if you updated your password locally and have a newer version of PHP locally than you do remote it's possible that the password now in use has a newer hashing algorithm than your remote server has. I'm not sure why resetting your password on the remote server would fail, though.

#7 July 18, 2019 12:56pm

tommarshallamndrews

Hi,
Afraid I'm still struggling with this. I have tried all the versions and for some reason version 2.2.19 and after won't allow me to log in even when I reset password. I can log in with previous versions but have the "The file(s) uploaded exceeded the web server's maximum upload size. If you uploaded multiple files, try uploading one at a time." error.
I can update it fine when I use the CMS locally with the DB IP set to the remote one.
Much appreciate any thoughts!

#8 July 19, 2019 11:47am

timbuckingham
Administrator

I'm not seeing anything in the release notes for 4.2.19 or 4.2.20 that mentions changes to password handling. I'd be happy to see if I can debug on the remote server if you'd like to send me SFTP credentials.

Board footer