#1 November 19, 2018 5:26am

Terrra-Robin

Get all images inside a resource folder

It would be great to have an option which grabs all images inside a resource folder, from newest to oldest (or in the order you set it in the resources folder).
In that way you can really easily create and manage image galleries or sliders.

I think the image reference is nice, and combined with the option to get everything inside a folder it would be even more more powerful.
Another idea would be to have a photo gallery with file references instead of uploads. Would also be very useful.
The image gallery takes quite some time to fill in, one by one.

Maybe the last one is more in line with the current developments.

Cheers!

#2 November 21, 2018 5:00pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Get all images inside a resource folder

I'm going to track this request but I'm not sure the best way to go about it so I'll probably be following up with you when I get a chance to delve in deeper and see if our ideas align!

#3 November 22, 2018 6:19am

Terrra-Robin

timbuckingham wrote:

I'm going to track this request but I'm not sure the best way to go about it so I'll probably be following up with you when I get a chance to delve in deeper and see if our ideas align!

Awesome! Sounds great. Let me know when you have time for the follow up.

#4 December 7, 2018 5:09pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Thinking about this more I think it may work better as a custom field type rather than being core to the Photo Gallery. You could specify crops in the Photo Gallery that aren't available in file manager images and we'd have to make new ones on submit. Then it loses the tie to the file manager folder so new things added there wouldn't update in your photo gallery field. In the use case of always pulling photos from a folder in the file manager, I think making a dropdown field type that lets you pick a folder from the file manager would be the way to go. Then on your front end template you could call BigTreeAdmin::getContentsOfResourceFolder to grab the stuff in the folder and draw it.

I'm tracking this issue in GitHub as well in case I can think of a way to do this effectively! https://github.com/bigtreecms/BigTree-CMS/issues/353

#5 December 20, 2018 12:19pm

Terrra-Robin

timbuckingham wrote:

Thinking about this more I think it may work better as a custom field type rather than being core to the Photo Gallery. You could specify crops in the Photo Gallery that aren't available in file manager images and we'd have to make new ones on submit. Then it loses the tie to the file manager folder so new things added there wouldn't update in your photo gallery field. In the use case of always pulling photos from a folder in the file manager, I think making a dropdown field type that lets you pick a folder from the file manager would be the way to go. Then on your front end template you could call BigTreeAdmin::getContentsOfResourceFolder to grab the stuff in the folder and draw it.

I'm tracking this issue in GitHub as well in case I can think of a way to do this effectively! https://github.com/bigtreecms/BigTree-CMS/issues/353

Sounds great! Thanks for putting it in motion! Just grabbing a folder could be a nice and simple solution, but then you might be getting in trouble if you want to set pictures in a particular order. The order could be changed in the folder to fix it, but then you might have to switch back and forth many times and always have to put your files in a particular folder. Especially for image carousels the order is important. And it would be nice for the end user to have the power over how many pictures he wants to see. I think in the ideal world a file manager gallery would be the most elegant solution, but that might be quite a technical and time consuming challenge.

Board footer