#1 July 6, 2017 4:22pm

jmason03

Installing Within WordPress

I have WP installation and my goal is to place BigTree within the site as well so I can run both. Currently, I have all my files setup in a separate folder at the root (same level as wp-content, wp-admin, etc.). I have all my tables setup in a separate database and my environment file setup with all the credentials for it. The problem I'm having is when I try to get to the BigTree admin, the WP part is taking over and giving me a 404. So it should be domain/volunteers/admin but it's not working.

I'm guessing this is a .htaccess issue for the WP site? Does anyone have experience with getting these two things to work at the same time?

Thanks

#2 July 8, 2017 9:00am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Installing Within WordPress

I've never attempted to install them into the same directory. I'd imagine the htaccess rewrites would be competing for which gets to handle invalid URLs. I'd think you'd have to modify WordPress' routing to let BigTree handle some of it. Having WordPress site inside of BigTree's /site/ directory works fine but I guess the other way around is problematic.

#3 July 10, 2017 5:48pm

jmason03

Well I've made some progress but could use a little advice. I've got it to the point where I can view the homepage but domain/volunteers/admin isn't working, it's running through the WP stuff.

So I'm not sure if the issue is with the WP .htaccess file and that I'm not ignoring directories within /volunteers/ but just the top level.

I added this to the WP .htaccess:
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/(volunteers|volunteers/.*)$

I thought adding this to both BigTree htaccess files would help:
RewriteBase /volunteers/

so that it would prepend the /volunteers/ to requests but it's only allowing the homepage to be viewed.

Any thoughts on what might be missing from one of these so that WP doesn't try to handle requests within the /volunteers/ directory?

#4 July 11, 2017 10:19am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Unfortunately I'm super bad with rewrite rules and regex in general, wish I could help!

#5 August 28, 2017 10:38am

1nternetJob
Website

Hi, this is my first post here but since i'm mainly in the WP business i might answer to this one.
Normally if you have rewrite on in your WordPress (like general > settings > permalink) and any other options set than default, your big tree installation should work since the htaccess check for folder or file presence (via a RewriteCond).
So maybe you just have to activate it (if not) or maybe you have a cache issue with chrome (that stores redirection and stuff like that ...)

For information, the default WordPress .htaccess

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

These lines should allow you to access directly to a folder within the wordpress directory/file structure.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

By the way, if anyone has a topic for start with bigtree i appreciate smile

Webmaster / Website manager. Usually WordPress but always looking for alternatives and any CMS initiative !

#6 February 23, 2022 8:07am

johnsmith

Looking for the same thing.

Board footer