#1 February 18, 2017 10:20am

BK

Text Editor

Thanks for the demo site! So I am playing around by adding more text to an existing paragraph. I did so by cutting and pasting from another source. As expected, the original source formatting was brought over. Now I want to quickly change the font, size, and bolding to match the existing text. From your experienced point of view, what is the easiest way to accomplish this?
Take it all to Word? In other words, copy and paste all text into MS Word and do my conforming and formatting there before bringing it all into BigTree?
Paste as Plain Text? By right-clicking in the editor window I reveal an option to paste in plain text. It appears that this option removes special formatting such as bold and emphasis, and selects the font family and size to match the previous text. (Previous text in this case, is the font family and size of the character to the left of the cursor position when the function is executed.)
Edit the Source Code? An option on the toolbar (<>) will display the text with the markup language. For those so inclined, this may be another option.
I foresee a combination of techniques based on the amount of formatting to be done and the user comfort level, but would like to learn from the masters what I might be missing.

#2 February 18, 2017 10:25am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Text Editor

I generally recommend pasting as plain text and then using the WYSIWYG editor to do your formatting. Microsoft Word is notorious for bringing over a lot of random tags and inline styles into TinyMCE (the content editor used by BigTree). Unfortunately the makers of TinyMCE made the Microsoft Word cleanup features a premium add-on when they released TinyMCE 4 so we aren't able to include that feature sad

#3 February 18, 2017 11:33am

BK

Thanks for the response. I understand about the MS additional tags.
I foresee more HTML education for my users - explaining the various h1, h2, treatment of text. Is there a way for the user to increase the font without adding the bold of a heading?
Or would this be done through the use of a module? I am thinking maybe a module could be used to handle the formatting in a specific manner. Is this true?

Last edited by BK (February 18, 2017 11:41am)

#4 February 18, 2017 6:37pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

You can modify the behavior of TinyMCE by creating a custom HTML loader at /custom/admin/layouts/_html-field-loader.php (copying the one from /core/ -- see the Overriding Core page).

Board footer