#1 December 29, 2016 6:04pm

snowboardmommy

Migrating to BigTree

Hi BigTree Community!

The plain old truth is that my relationship with WordPress is on the rocks.  I have a bunch of questions about BigTree and I am going to ask them all at once. I apologize if this sounds a little scattered.

It looks like BigTree already has a handy dandy API and I am wondering what types of information are available via the BigTree API publicly or anonymously (eg: without authentication)?  How is authentication handled in the API?

What types of user information does BigTree consider to be public?

How often does BigTree release new versions? Is there a release schedule?

From perusing the forums, it looks you can use BigTree similarly to WordPress' "Multisite"? But, I just wanted to ask specifically, myself.

In WordPress, I use a security plugin called "WordFence" ... I guess I have grown accustomed to the idea that I have to have some sort of security against spamming, splogging, attacks, malware being inserted in my site ... how do these issues affect BigTree installations ... what types of measures are needed for protection?

That's everything for now.  I still need to download, install and play with BigTree, but if one BigTree test installation in an unlinked directory can manage to not get attacked within 5 hours and not get me nearly thrown off my server for CPU over consumption, it will have a huge advantage over WordPress 4.7 (you can ask, but you may not want to know!)!!

Thank you!

~Bonnie (aka "Snowboard Mommy")

#2 December 30, 2016 4:03pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Migrating to BigTree

There's no public API in the BigTree 4.2 release. There was an old (undocumented) API that was partially complete that was eventually removed. A community member is working on an extension that creates a public API, however.

A bugfix release of BigTree generally is released every two months - occasionally if the fixes in a release are critical to usability or security it will be expedited but we generally try not to inundate people with lots of releases for obscure bugs. The goal of the team is to release a major feature release (e.g. 4.3, 4.4, etc) yearly but the 4.3 release has been fairly delayed at this point.

BigTree 4.2.13 and higher support multi-domain sites but they're not all that similar to WordPress' multi-site support. Multi-domain sites in BigTree contain a unified user system across all the sites and sub-sites in a multi-domain site are powered by a branch of the main site's page tree. Since BigTree already allows fine grained permissions by branch and module it's still easy to support users that are only allowed access to a single site in a multi-domain install.

BigTree 4.2 introduced a lot of the features of the WordFence plugin (IP whitelists, IP blacklists, blacklisting temporarily for failed login attempts, etc). There's no malware scanning since BigTree isn't a huge CMS with targeted malware attacks yet. That's also a bit of advantage when it comes to automated attacks like you mentioned smile

#3 December 30, 2016 4:12pm

snowboardmommy

Re: Migrating to BigTree

Thank you for your response! I am looking forward to playing with BigTree and I will definitely let you know if I have any more questions.

~Bonnie

Board footer