#1 April 9, 2015 3:42pm

joeignition

Including Module Output into Sitemap automagically?

Is this possible to accomplish? For example, a faculty directory with detail screens for each faculty member.

If not, would the Module Report feature be able to accomplish part of this (generating the data to be translated into sitemap xml data)

Thanks!
Joe

#2 April 9, 2015 3:46pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Including Module Output into Sitemap automagically?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking (was there supposed to be an accompanying picture?). It's definitely possible to make a faculty directory with detail pages via a routed template, for instance this: http://www.kenyon.edu/directories/campus-directory/

#3 April 13, 2015 10:22am

joeignition

Tim,

Thanks, no I didn't stuff a picture in there, and yes, we went the routed template route for faculty directory, the problem is the created Module output (detail pages per faculty member for example) do not have their paths added to the generated sitemap.xml file, and as such do not get indexed, at least not that I've seen yet.

Does that make sense? The same issue causes other Module / routed template implementations to not be part of the sitemap.xml file, and consequentially, not automatically indexed, unless we missed something in the buildout. These were our first 2 builds using Bigtree.

Thanks!
Joe

#4 April 13, 2015 12:31pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

If your routed template is related to a module you can add the getSitemap method to your class file to generate a list of titles/links to include in the sitemap.

In most cases though, you don't need to add things to your sitemap to have them be indexed. Linking to them from another page should be enough for Google to find them (unless the page is REALLY deep in your site). We don't often use the getSitemap method and haven't had issues with indexing. There could be another issue with the page (i.e. "Hide From Search Engines" is checked in the SEO tab of the page).

#5 April 14, 2015 8:28am

joeignition

Thanks Tim,

The Hide from Search Engines box isn't checked, so that's not an issue. I'll take a look at the getSitemap method.

In our templates, we did a check on the "Hide from Search Engines" and if it's on, specifically add a meta robots tag to prevent indexing.

Last edited by joeignition (April 14, 2015 8:52am)

Board footer