#1 February 10, 2015 5:39pm

jmason03

Password Reset Emails

We use an Exchange server for emails and I think it is having an issue with emails generated by htmlMimeMail (the one I noticed it on was the Password Reset email). What was happening was certain characters in the email would be replaced with an = and unfortunately it was happening in the hash part of the link to the password reset page which was obviously throwing it off and causing errors. I think the problem was how Exchange servers handle line breaks, I added this line after the setHeader statement in the forgotPassword function:
$mailer->setCrlf("\r\n");

That seemed to fix it, I'm not getting emails with random = signs anymore and the link is working correctly. I have no idea if implementing this change would cause an issue on a non-Exchange email server but I wanted to pass it along as a potential solution and hopefully you can test it on your email system(s).

#2 February 11, 2015 2:22pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Password Reset Emails

Good to know! BigTree 4.2 switches away from htmlMimeMail to use PHPMailer by default (and various transactional email APIs such as Mailgun as an option). I'd love to know if the same issue affects PHPMailer -- we don't have an Exchange server to test on, unfortunately.

I'll test out the htmlMimeMail fix on a few different scenarios and if it works in all those I'll roll it out in the next 4.1 release. Thanks!

Board footer