#1 August 1, 2017 11:19am

tsamant

Granular edit permissions

I am trying to put a certain type of permission structure on BigTree pages but can't figure out the best way.

The aim is to allow editing only a couple of SEO fields, to specific users. The page content, etc should not be editable. The smaller the form they see, the better.

What is the cleanest way to get this effect?

Best,
Tushar

#2 August 1, 2017 6:56pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Granular edit permissions

I don't think there's an easy way to do that honestly. You'd need to setup custom versions of the user add/edit/create/update files as well as the pages view-tree, add, edit, create, and update files. Then maybe add a separate user level for an SEO user of -1 or something like that.

#3 August 2, 2017 2:47pm

tsamant

I more or less expected that, and it will be hard to get permission to spend time on it.

Maybe a module with a table to keep SEO data, which overrides the page's own data, is a practical idea?

We will probably be OK with module-level permissions if it is not a very powerful module.

#4 August 2, 2017 2:50pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

That would definitely be the way to go -- good thinking, I think we did that on another site where we were just augmenting some page data (I think it might have been open graph tags in that instance but it's the same thing in theory)!

You could make it pretty easy on the content editor with a custom field type that accepts a URL and then stores the page ID related to the URL. Then on your _header.php you could check the module against the current page ID and load that SEO info if it exists.

#5 August 4, 2017 4:12pm

tsamant

Tim, thanks for the idea. Interestingly, Opengraph tags are the big need, not SEO fields. Best, Tushar

Board footer