#1 July 11, 2017 4:46am

Terrra-Robin

Automatically updating extensions

Hello,

In the past few months we have been busy building our own form builder extension. We're constantly improving and extending it for different customers. But now it's getting a little messy with all de different versions on different sites. So we would like to make an update function for it.

On the Bigtree extension download page there is a button that says "MANAGE YOUR EXTENSIONS".
When I click on it and try to authorize bigtreeCMS for Github it says "this application has made an unusually high number of requests to access your account. Please reauthorize the application to continue."
When I try again it keeps loading and I can't get it to work properly. Also in other browsers and on a Macbook (firefox, chrome)
Am I doing something wrong here?

Also, is it really required to make a public extension when you'd like to have the option to update it?
And does it automatically appear on the Bigtree Extensions download page?
We actually prefer to keep it private for safety reasons and becouse it is still kind of in a bèta phase.

Thanks in advance!

#2 July 11, 2017 10:23am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Automatically updating extensions

It looks like GitHub has updated their OAuth authentication scheme and it's failing for some reason. I'm not able to get through it either -- I'll try to take a lookt at this soon.

Currently it is required to make an extension public to have the automatic updating since it uses GitHub as a source for the downloads. We could fairly easily add an option to not list the extension on bigtreecms.org, though.

#3 July 14, 2017 6:39am

Terrra-Robin

Ahh, so that's the cause..  Thanks for taking a look at this.
It would be really awesome if that's possible.
I'm curious.. are extension updates always served via the BigTree Extensions Archive Github?
Or is it also possible to create your own repository and update via that?

#4 July 14, 2017 5:29pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Extensions are served from your own GitHub account, they just have to be public repositories since we link to the git branch's zip download. We use git hooks to check for updates to a given branch to pull the latest version information into bigtreecms.org -- I'll try to get the git integration back up and running this weekend!

#5 July 17, 2017 7:54am

Terrra-Robin

Ah, that's perfect! We're looking forward to it.
I don't have much experience with webhooks so I'm going to read a bit about it before asking too much questions here.
Thanks a lot for the quick help!

#6 August 11, 2017 4:03pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Sorry for the long delay on this, I've finally had time to sit down and debug the Extensions GitHub integrations -- it should now be up and running again!

#7 August 18, 2017 8:59am

Terrra-Robin

timbuckingham wrote:

Sorry for the long delay on this, I've finally had time to sit down and debug the Extensions GitHub integrations -- it should now be up and running again!

It's allright, thanks a lot for diving in to it! We're going to try it out right now.

#8 August 18, 2017 10:11am

Terrra-Robin

Hmm, when I try to pair Bigtree with Github again it's still in some kind of a redirecting loop...

#9 August 27, 2017 2:53pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Sorry for the delayed response again. I took a look at this on Friday and I think I resolved it -- hopefully for good!

#10 August 28, 2017 4:13am

Terrra-Robin

Awesome. It's working!
I'm going to fiddle around with it.

Thanks Tim!

#11 August 28, 2017 4:34am

Terrra-Robin

Hmm, the first time it worked, but I logged in with the wrong account.
When I try to login again with another account I get the same error message agein..

#12 August 28, 2017 4:42am

Terrra-Robin

Whoops, I see our extension on the BigTree website. Is it possible to hide it in some way?

#13 August 30, 2017 8:59am

timbuckingham
Administrator

I've hidden it from the main repository -- are you still having trouble logging in? Sorry for the delayed responses, the forum for some reason randomly stops pinging me on certain threads!

Board footer