#1 December 22, 2015 11:27pm

EyeAmN8

Package Manager

It would be nice if the cms/framework had or used a package manager like composer. I understand that this would more than likely require a tremendous amount of work, but I think it would benefit developers in more than one way.
This would make updating the cms very easy.
I could also see it as a way for developers to share packages/plugins they have created. I'm sure other devs would enjoy this

#2 December 23, 2015 9:57pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Package Manager

Switching to using something like Composer would probably break a lot of backwards compatibility. Another concern with using composer for installs is that it lessens the possible install base -- we currently have very low server requirements and that'll probably be something we keep for the 4.0 life-cycle (PHP 5.3, MySQL 5.0, gd and cURL).

We're definitely investigating all the future possibilities of what a backwards incompatible (but philosophically similar) BigTree 5.0 could bring along -- using Composer will definitely be on the list of things to look into!

As far as sharing packages / plugins, BigTree currently uses its own packaging system for both packages (which are easily portable between your own BigTree installs) and extensions (which are namespaced and better for sharing with other developers). You can check out a bunch of extensions here: https://www.bigtreecms.org/extensions/

Board footer