#1 August 5, 2015 2:00am

dmont

Project Structure Documentation

I started using bigtree a few months back, and it's been great! 

The hitch that I ran into was the project structure, the example site was a nice reference but I never found documentation specifically about what to find where or how the project itself was organized.

Does that exist somewhere already? (if not, would it be troublesome to add?)

Last edited by dmont (August 5, 2015 2:01am)

#2 August 5, 2015 10:02am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Project Structure Documentation

I could have sworn that we used to have docs outlining the directory structure. I'll try to figure out what happened to those docs and get them reimplemented as I can't find them either.

In general:

/core/ -- Contains core BigTree CMS, shouldn't be edited as this directory is replaced in CMS upgrades

/custom/ -- Contains module class files in /custom/inc/modules/, custom field types' draw/process files in /custom/admin/form-field-types/, custom field types' options files in /custom/admin/ajax/developer/field-options/ (I know this is a terrible directory and we hope to make it a more obvious place in the future)

/templates/ -- Contains your page template files in /templates/basic/ and /templates/routed/ -- for more info on how routed templates work, see https://www.bigtreecms.org/docs/dev-guide/templates/, though this appears to be lacking detailed info on how routing occurs as well. I'll note that for future changes. /templates/callouts/ contains your Callout templates. /templates/layouts/ contains your layout files, which are described on this page.

/site/ -- This is your public root, basically what is exposed to your users. Generally whatever you drop into this directory is accessible directly and is used for CSS, JS, images, etc. You can also drop things like WordPress into here if, for instance, you wanted /blog/ to be a WordPress blog.

/cache/ -- This contains basic cache information and is used for temporary storage

/extensions/ -- This is where installed (and built) extensions are housed.

If you have any specific questions let me know as it will help guide me on how best to rebuild the directory reference docs!

#3 August 11, 2015 11:07am

dmont

Re: Project Structure Documentation

Thanks, this'll be a handy reference in the meantime!

Board footer