#1 May 27, 2015 12:22am

yuigoto

White labelling: is it ok?

Just discovered BigTree and I'm pretty much interested in building my personal website using it, after I read a little bit of the docs. Wanted something more "fun" to use, because I'm a bit tired of WordPress, and it looks like BigTree could give me less headaches and speed up my webdev process. smile

I didn't find any info about this on the forums or FAQ, so I'm asking: is it ok to white label BT CMS? If yes, is there any info or documentation on how to do it? tongue

I'm asking this because, sometimes, people ask me to customize the CMS (usually WordPress) with the client's logo and other info. I know there are CMS that don't allow it, while others do, so I'd like to know about this one.

Thanks!

Cheers! big_smile

#2 May 27, 2015 9:33am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: White labelling: is it ok?

Sure! As BigTree is licensed under the LGPL you're free to modify and redistribute it as long as copyright and attribution messages are left intact. You're free to remove all BigTree branding if you'd like.

As to the best way to do that, the easiest way would be to just include a custom CSS file in the admin to provide different logos (if that's the primary concern). To do that you just want to add an entry to the $bigtree["config"]["admin_css"] array in your /custom/config.settings.php file. That will allow you add a CSS file in /custom/admin/css/ and load it into every page of the admin. You can then write some CSS rules to overwrite the ones that draw the logos and place your custom logos in /custom/admin/images/.

That's the most upgrade-friendly way to approach it -- if you need to overwrite anything more specifically, you can replace any file in /core/ with one in /custom/ and the custom one will be loaded. So if, for instance, you wanted to change the "Contact Us" link in the admin's footer to link to your own support, you could copy /core/admin/layouts/_footer.php and place it in /custom/admin/layouts/_footer.php. You could then modify your custom file to update the links. This gives you flexibility to upgrade the CMS without modifying core files that would be replaced in an upgrade. Chances are slim that things like the header and footer layouts would be updated in a 4.2 branch bugfix release so those are safe to modify. Modifying more functionality related files such as the BigTreeAdmin class you may likely run into issues with upgrades. To get around something like that, BigTree allows you to extend the BigTreeCMS and BigTreeAdmin classes at the bottom of your config.settings.php file.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

#3 May 27, 2015 8:28pm

yuigoto

Re: White labelling: is it ok?

Whoa! Thanks for the answer and for the whole explanation! smile

I think that was the only questions I had, since I didn't want to step over anything in BT's license. It's always good to work with everything clear, so I won't run into any kind of problem.

Will tinker with it and learn how to use it properly then! I hope I'll enjoy using it more than other CMS for my projects! big_smile

Thanks!

Cheers!

Board footer