#1 July 10, 2014 2:09am

jesse.glaves

Color Picker

A color picker field type would be amazing. Perhaps something that allows the site administrator to specify a palette of colors for editors to choose from, or a free-form color picker that would allow editors to choose any value they like (RGB, or Hex). This would be nice for theming elements of the site.

#2 July 10, 2014 9:40am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Color Picker

We've actually built a few different color picker field types for different sites (some were hardcoded hex values, some ran off a setting to power the list, others you manually had to add each hex as options for the field). The BigTree 4.0 demo install includes one as a custom field type as well. Do you think it's a valuable core field type? I'm on the side of leaving it as custom but open to change smile We're hoping to release a full extensions section of the site complete with a bunch of custom field types we've developed over the years when BigTree 4.2 is released, so hopefully that would alleviate the core/custom issue a bit.

#3 July 10, 2014 11:33am

jesse.glaves

Re: Color Picker

I do think it would be a valuable field type for templating. I'm always looking for ways to give editors more options for customization, while staying within a predetermined visual framework. I think you're probably correct though; this might be something better added on after-the-fact. Since 4.2 will have extensions, making it an optional custom might be the way to go.

Board footer