#1 July 2, 2014 12:37pm

jesse.glaves

Image Crop Issues in Template/Callout

Hi there,

For some reason, the image cropping in a callout form I've created is cropping the images to exactly 200% of the size I specified. Is this by design? Should I just resize with CSS, and live with it, or is something else going on? It worked correctly at first, then started behaving like this at a later point. I can't think of any change I made that would have triggered this behavior.

Also, I've noticed that if I try to upload a very large photo to be cropped, it doesn't get added to the callout at all. It skips the cropping dialog completely and throws no warnings/errors, allowing the template to be saved afterward. Is there a size limit that the cropping can handle, and if so, is there a way to alert the user? I realize that this isn't the ideal method for uploading images, as they should already be sized somewhat close to the desired crop size, but not all of my editors are quite that savvy with image manipulation, and I want to make sure this is fail-proof, or they're not going be comfortable using it.

Additionally, the upload field has a generate preview prefix option, which I have specified as "preview_", but the images are not being generated.

Thanks!

#2 July 2, 2014 12:43pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Image Crop Issues in Template/Callout

jesse.glaves wrote:

image cropping in a callout form I've created is cropping the images to exactly 200% of the size I specified

The most likely cause of this is that the "Create High Resolution Retina Images" checkbox is enabled. That causes everything to get 200% size of the chosen crop if the crop area is large enough to generate it.

jesse.glaves wrote:

try to upload a very large photo to be cropped

There are maximums based on your php.ini's upload_max_filesize, post_max_size, and memory_limit settings, but BigTree should do its best to tell you when you've hit one that's too large. I can't remember, but there may have been a related bug in the 4.1 release that should be fixed in the upcoming 4.1.1 release related to this.

jesse.glaves wrote:

the upload field has a generate preview prefix option, which I have specified as "preview_", but the images are not being generated

The preview prefix option is for specifying which of your crops or thumbnails you want to use as the preview image -- you still have to setup a crop or thumbnail with that prefix for it to work (there's no default preview size that gets auto generated).

#3 July 2, 2014 12:51pm

jesse.glaves

Re: Image Crop Issues in Template/Callout

Thanks for all of the answers Tim! All of that sounds very logical. I'll give it a try.

Board footer