#1 August 15, 2021 5:49am

BillPerry

How to update to BigTree 4.3.4?

Tricks to Stiffen Fabric For Beginners

The more you sew, the more knowledge you will have about different fabrics. If you are a beginner, you will have to try and apply techniques to ensure that the products you create will impress others. And one of the important things in sewing that you should pay attention to, is the hardness of the fabric.

When I was a new person, I faced difficulties. There are very difficult challenges and it annoys me. But through every project, I always learn an interesting lesson. And I have a share: if you have the BpCJdd4.gif best quality sewing machine for beginners, you will have less trouble. Today, we will learn about fabric stiffness.

Tip No.1: Use Gelatine

Gelatine is a stable solution that I want to talk about in this article. It is very useful when you apply silk or chiffon, soft and smooth fabrics. With Gelatine, you have temporary stiffness for fabrics to sew in a short time. After that, the fabrics will return to their original shape.

kv63BOo.jpg

Gelatine is very useful when you apply with silk or chiffon, soft and smooth fabrics

To create this mixture, you need 2 cups of water and one teaspoon of gelatin. Let it settle for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, add 4 more cups of hot water. You will now have the Gelatine mixture.

You will dip the fabrics into the Gelatine mixture, hang the fabrics up and let them dry. After that, the fabric will be harder and you can sew more easily. And if you have the CgWR1yf.gif best basic sewing machine, your sewing performance will improve!

Tip No.2: Use Starch and Corn Flour

This is one of the most popular methods to provide fabric stiffness. So how do you apply this technique? First, take a spoonful of starch. Then you mix it with 2 cups of water. Mix it gently until you see it is a liquid that is as smooth as water.

If you have a spray bottle, put this mixture in it for use. This mixture brings stability to your outfit. And whenever you need it, use a spray bottle because it helps you control the hardness of the fabric. Every time you spray, you don't use too much solution!

If you are new to sewing machines and don't have a machine yet, you should read basic sewing machine reviews to quickly narrow down your selection. Remember that the basic sewing machines for beginners only can perform simple sewing stitches and can be used for light duty home sewing tasks.

h2cqJk5.jpg

Starch and Corn Flour is one of the most popular methods to provide fabric stiffness

Tip No.3: Use Water and Sugar

I recommend you another effective method of fabric hardening, a mixture of sugar and water.

First, you mix sugar and water in equal proportions. Then you boil them and let them cool. Now that the preparation is complete, you can then dip the clothes into this solution. Note that you need to shape the clothes and let them dry for a few hours. Then the fabrics will be hard and you can work with them. Don't be too hasty until fabrics have become stiff properly with your requirements. This is an effective way with simple materials.

If you have the best starter sewing machine, hqjTMBG.gif it will not require high technology and you will have enough time to prepare this stiffening technique.

Final words

Stabilizers are very useful when you need to harden clothes. With some special projects, you will have to stiffen the fabric. And if you want to remove the hardness of fabrics, you simply need to wash the fabric and everything will return to its original shape!

Last edited by BillPerry (August 9, 2022 8:56am)

#2 August 18, 2021 6:39pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: How to update to BigTree 4.3.4?

Hello,

I'd recommend updating all the way to the latest 4.4 release. If you're using a git repository for BigTree, you can just do a git pull on it and then visit the admin area to have it run the database updates. If you're not using a git-based setup for BigTree, you can visit the Developer tab and initiate an update. If that does not work due to filesystem permissions, you can download the latest release of BigTree and replace your /core/ and /vendor/ folders with those in the latest zip file.

Whichever way you choose to go, it's always recommended you backup your database before doing a major update.

Board footer