#1 January 2, 2020 12:07pm

doon.mok

Expired page subpages still available

If I set a page to expire and after it expires , I was expecting the subpages of that page to not be available and show a 404 error. But you can still go to the subpages if you know the url. I was expecting it to act like an archived page, where page and all subpages are archived.

I'm not sure if this post should be under Bug Reports or Feature Requests.

Thanks

#2 January 2, 2020 12:10pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Expired page subpages still available

That's a tricky one. On the one hand I agree the expected behavior from a rational standpoint would be that sub-pages would also expire if the parent page did. On the other hand, we'd have to do this via a cron task to make it efficient. When you archive a page at the time of archival it can set the archived state of all the descendant pages. Expired status on the other hand is checked on the database row at fetch time. We'd have to traverse the page tree for each page request to see if any ancestor page is expired which isn't ideal. Since this would be a core behavior change which might cause unexpected results for people that for whatever reason do depend on sub-pages being alive still I'm going to log it as something we'll try to add in BigTree 5.

#3 January 2, 2020 12:15pm

doon.mok

Re: Expired page subpages still available

Thanks for the information Tim!

Board footer