#1 April 24, 2014 12:39pm

michael

Need to Inject Simple JavaScript In Various Pages, Is Module-Driven Callout Overkill?

I'm looking to include a snippet of JavaScript code that can be utilized across various pages and Templates, but may not be desired for all pages. This script loads in a simple widget similar to UserVoice,  The script snippet is not going to change, but if anything, there are only two configurable parameters when utilizing the snippet: url (required) and date start (optional). It's okay if these are hardcoded.

Based on the documentation, callouts are page-specific usually, but a module-driven callout seems like overkill here for a simple script include.Am I overthinking this whole thing?

Thanks in advance.

#2 April 24, 2014 12:44pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Need to Inject Simple JavaScript In Various Pages, Is Module-Driven Callout Overkill?

Generally callouts are meant for little blurbs of content specific to pages, but we have implemented module-based callouts in the past to re-use portions of content on multiple pages. I don't know all the details, but I don't think it's ridiculous to use callouts to implement a JavaScript snippet on certain pages.

BigTree 4.1 is going to introduce callouts as a more general field type where you could name the field "Snippets" and choose just a select group of snippet-based callouts for a given template -- hopefully it'll make use cases like this feel more natural.

#3 April 24, 2014 4:38pm

michael

Re: Need to Inject Simple JavaScript In Various Pages, Is Module-Driven Callout Overkill?

Thanks timbuckingham. I will definitely check these out, and am glad to know I won't likely need to implement a full module-driven callout for an include, and am glad to know that the future release might make the case feel more natural. Thanks again.

Board footer