#1 August 13, 2014 10:34am

jmason03

Error Editing Module Content

I'm running BigTree 4.1.1 and have run into a strange problem recently when creating Modules (it also happened when using BigTree 4.1). I've made several in the past without any issues but now when I create one, I go in and add my first entry and it says it was added with no errors, but if I go back in to edit it all of the fields are blank and no data is present. When I look in my database the data is there and in the right spot so I'm not sure why it's not pulling it into the edit form. Also, after I add the first entry, if I try to add anymore it will say they were added without any errors but they do not appear in my View or in the database. Not sure what might be causing this, any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

#2 August 13, 2014 11:12am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Error Editing Module Content

Any chance you can email me a database dump? That sounds pretty strange.

#3 August 13, 2014 11:19am

jmason03

Are you wanting the whole database or just the bigtree_module_* tables and the ones I created?

#4 August 13, 2014 11:21am

timbuckingham
Administrator

Ideally the whole database -- you can drop any page content or sensitive content, I just want to get the same environment setup so that I can (hopefully) replicate and fix whatever is going wrong.

#5 August 13, 2014 1:07pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Can you point me in the direction of one of the modules that's giving you trouble? Maybe some screenshots? I'm not having any issues off the bat so I'm not sure what's going on.

#6 August 13, 2014 1:51pm

jmason03

It happens anytime I create a new module, all of the ones I currently have work fine. When I made a new one I was using the homepage_features table and what would happen is that I would click "Add Module", name it and everything and assign homepage_features as the related table. Then, I clicked "Continue" to edit the view where I change the type to "Draggable List" but other than that I don't change anything. Then, I click "Add Form" and set that up with an image upload, a list, and some text boxes. Then I go in through the Modules tab to add a new "Featured Content". After I click "Save & Publish" everything appears to have worked fine, the popup tells me it was saved, it appears in the view, and it appears in the database. However, when I click the "Edit" icon it takes me to the edit form and all of the fields are blank so I can't edit the information anymore. Then, if I go back to the view and try to add a new "Featured Content", I have the same success through the whole process except when I click "Save & Publish" I go back to the view and that new entry is not there and does not appear in the database.

#7 August 13, 2014 1:52pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Thanks for the additional info -- are you using Module Designer to create the modules or the standard process?

#8 August 13, 2014 2:08pm

jmason03

Just the standard process. So the table is already created and setup in my database when I start. And I've always done it that way.

#9 August 13, 2014 2:14pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Found the error, which is probably something BigTree should check and warn about -- I'll be sure to add it to the 4.2 list.
Your homepage_features table's "id" column doesn't have auto increment set. BigTree sees the id that's passed to the edit screen as "falsey" so it believes you're adding instead of editing (so you see an empty form).

#10 August 13, 2014 3:10pm

jmason03

That makes sense, I don't think I ever would have thought of that without your help.

Thanks!

#11 August 13, 2014 3:13pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Sure thing! I never thought it could ever be an issue because we all use Sequel Pro (and it auto defaults an id column with auto increment). Good to know we should check for that in the future smile

Board footer