#1 June 19, 2018 9:17am

Terrra-Robin

Extension updates

Hi,

We're experimenting with the extensions again.
I bumped into some questions when trying to get it working.

When does Bigtree see there's a new update?
I pushed a new manifest with updated version number and a modified class to Github (also exported the extension again in Bigtree), but I don't see the update notification when I look at my other plugin installation.

Is there a way to check for updates manually or in a shorter timespan?

Are there by the wat things I should keep in mind about the manifest and updates?
I have tried to update extensions before, but it got corrupted in some way.

Also another thing to notice: the downloaded extensions get corrupted.
When looking in the cache folder and downloading the package.zip, the extension is not corrupted.

Thanks in advance!

#2 June 19, 2018 9:59am

Terrra-Robin

Re: Extension updates

Update: I tried the webhook method now, but I still don't see the update notification..

I put this in payload: https://www.bigtreecms.org/ajax/extensions/webhook/ is that the right way?
I tried both x-www-form-urlencoded and json as content type. What is the correct method?

Do I need to fill in a secret or disable SSL verification to make it work?

I tried to send an email to remove the extension from the extension library indexing, but the email does not exist I think.
The email address is: removal@bigtreecms.org. I got a mail back from Google that is was not delivered.

PS: Is it still possible to do updates without being in the extension library?

Thanks!

#3 June 21, 2018 3:38pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

When does Bigtree see there's a new update?

BigTree does a nightly check (around midnight EDT) and updates all extension versions. You can force an update by going to manage your extensions, opening one and re-saving it.

Are there by the wat things I should keep in mind about the manifest and updates?

The one thing I've ran into in the past is sometimes when I update extensions from multiple installs the version ID gets off so when I push an update it's actually the same (or lower) version than was previously available, causing the extension updates not to show in other installs.

Also another thing to notice: the downloaded extensions get corrupted.

Do you mean from the extension repository? It should be pulling directly from GitHub which we don't have any control over.

I put this in payload: https://www.bigtreecms.org/ajax/extensions/webhook/ is that the right way?

Yes, that's the proper URL. I honestly haven't tested it in quite some time as I usually just edit the extension to change the release notes and that forces an update.

PS: Is it still possible to do updates without being in the extension library?

You can request an extension be hidden from the repository (but still exist within it) in order to facilitate the update functionality.

The email address is: removal@bigtreecms.org. I got a mail back from Google that is was not delivered.

I will check on this!

#4 June 28, 2018 6:52am

Terrra-Robin

Alright, it's working now:) I saw the update appearing after a day or so.

The one thing I've ran into in the past is sometimes when I update extensions from multiple installs the version ID gets off so when I push an update it's actually the same (or lower) version than was previously available, causing the extension updates not to show in other installs.

So if I'm getting  this right, it's best to have a main version and use that to add functions and roll out updates?

Do you mean from the extension repository? It should be pulling directly from GitHub which we don't have any control over.

It happens when creating an extension and then download it in Big Tree. It's a zip-package when doing that with only the manifest in it.
Ah, perfect. Good to know we can also download it from Github.

Yes, that's the proper URL. I honestly haven't tested it in quite some time as I usually just edit the extension to change the release notes and that forces an update.

Alright. I think it's not working anymore. But I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help again!

#5 June 28, 2018 8:39am

Terrra-Robin

Alright. I think it's not working anymore. But I could be wrong.

Update: it does work!
The downloading of extensions also works now.

#6 June 28, 2018 9:28am

timbuckingham
Administrator

So if I'm getting  this right, it's best to have a main version and use that to add functions and roll out updates?

Definitely -- otherwise your manifest versions may get out of sync and you'll have a hard time having other installs see it as a new version.

It happens when creating an extension and then download it in Big Tree. It's a zip-package when doing that with only the manifest in it.

Very strange, PclZip should be just zipping up everything in your /extensions/extension-id/ directory. I might have to look into a different zip library if I can replicate this.

#7 June 29, 2018 3:22am

Terrra-Robin

timbuckingham wrote:

Definitely -- otherwise your manifest versions may get out of sync and you'll have a hard time having other installs see it as a new version.

Very strange, PclZip should be just zipping up everything in your /extensions/extension-id/ directory. I might have to look into a different zip library if I can replicate this.

Aha. That must be the thing that went wrong previously. Will watch out for it then. Thanks!

Yeah, it is. Got to say that sometimes it does work and sometimes it does not.
I'll try to find out of what the conditions are to let the zips go wrong.

Board footer