#1 July 22, 2015 3:54pm

jmason03

Option to Keep Only Cropped Photo

I have had quite a few different moments where I setup an image upload field for a photo that when implemented in my layout has a defined height/width. I can set a minimum height/width so that the photo is at least the correct size for the space but there isn't as clean of a solution for the many times that people will upload a photo that is way bigger than the dimensions I'm looking for. I can setup a crop and then use the prefixFile function to use the cropped photo in my layout but I still have the original photo on my server even though it'll never be used. I think what might help is the addition of a checkbox or something that allows me to only keep the cropped photo. That way I can mandate a size and be sure that every photo that makes it to my server is the exact size I'm looking for, saving server space and keeping things less cluttered.

#2 July 22, 2015 3:58pm

timbuckingham
Administrator

Re: Option to Keep Only Cropped Photo

If you setup a crop without a prefix it'll replace the originally uploaded photo. When we're worried about keeping the original photo for whatever reason, we usually just setup a thumbnail to 2000x2000 to prevent the ridiculously large files from taking up space.

#3 July 23, 2015 1:10pm

jmason03

Ah ok, I thought about that after I made the original post but never walked through the code to see if that was the case. I never saw anything that mentioned that that was possible in the "Developer Guide" so I just quickly (and naively) assumed that it wasn't possible. Thanks for the response!

#4 February 14, 2016 11:46am

Terrra-Robin

timbuckingham wrote:

If you setup a crop without a prefix it'll replace the originally uploaded photo. When we're worried about keeping the original photo for whatever reason, we usually just setup a thumbnail to 2000x2000 to prevent the ridiculously large files from taking up space.

I was having the same issue. Thanks for the solution! I think it would be good to mention that in the description of the prefix field like: "when not filled in, we only upload the cropped size of your picture" .

Board footer